Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Final Jam

Okay. I just watched Camp Rock 2: The Final Jam. I love Disney on Demand =]

I didn’t have high expectations. (Side note: Ticketmaster released about 600 seats for the Irvine concert the other day. A pair of orchestra seats are available at the moment.) It seems like people aren’t excited about this. Why? Was it the off-screen relationship and breakup? Was it marketing? “It’s On” was Disney Channel’s summer slogan. Maybe it was too hyped.

However, I was kind of blown away by the movie! Grace and I YouTubed most of the official musical numbers last Friday. The songs tell the story, and they’re not cut too short. The scenes were cool, and they were way more amazing in context of the movie. I know the movie isn’t officially out yet, but I cannot wait to write my review! I have a lot to say, and I think I’ll try a more journalistic approach—or at least I’ll try to keep it up. No promises.

I give props to Paul Hoen and his direction. The film begins with the familiar faces of Mitchie and Connect 3 making their way back to Camp Rock for the summer. They didn’t have the boarding pass lanyards =[  The movie entered the “musical border” at “Brand New Day.” It flowed so well! The choreography was equipped with jazz hands/spirit fingers. It was the PERFECT opening number. We are filled with excitement, and we are ready for a terrific summer. Then, we learn a new camp has opened across the lake.

With Camp Star in business, there is lower enrollment at Camp Rock. At an opening bon-“Fire,” we discover Camp Star has more glitz and glamour. They recruit steal most of Camp Rock’s staff, and Camp Rock is forced to close down.

Mitchie won’t let that happen. She reassures her fellow campers that they “Can’t Back Down” in a huge and hard dance number. She and her friends take charge and become the new camp counselors.

At first, it is hectic. In a quick montage, we witness the chaos, but eventually everything starts to work itself out. There was a continuity error! After things improve and the montage ends, there is a scene where Shane tries to whisk Mitchie away from her clipboard. Unfortunately for him, Connie needs help in the kitchen. Connie says the situation isn’t working after we already saw it get better. To top it off, Mitchie is wearing the same outfit from the first hectic day. Yes, I noticed. Hello! It’s a distinct purple ensemble that she wore during the huge dance number!

They regain their confidence as the best camp and decide to challenge Camp Star. "It’s On" is so much fun! I want to do the dance when I’m at the Verizon Amphitheatre. There’s extra choreography I can learn! Axel turns the whole thing into a worldwide competition to be televised. It would have been more consistent if Hot Tunes TV  had broadcasted the show, not Hitz TV. (That is probably a really dorky thing to notice, but I can be hardcore.)

Shane really wants to spend time with Mitchie, but she’s too wrapped up in trying to run and save the camp. You kind of want to strangle her at times because you think, “Really? Who died and made you boss of everything?” But, then you understand she’s doing this to save something she really loves. Joe is so good at looking at her! You can always see love in his eyes.

Nate has a Romeo-and-Juliet love interest in Dana, whose father owns Camp Star. Nick does a really good job portraying an unintentional douche bag. He just didn’t know how to express himself. It was adorable! I love “Introducing Me.” I challenge Mr. Nick J to perform it in less than 2 minutes!

After only ten minutes into the movie, Kevin was already hilarious. He stood there, soaking wet, and didn’t say a word, and I could not stop laughing.

In the end, JASON GOT HIS BIRDHOUSE! It is the most ROCKING birdhouse EVER!

Connect 3 did not have to become brothers, but it was nice to see their brotherly love on screen. I can’t help but LOVE watching them perform "Heart and Soul." This image cracked me up:
What's with the horse? LOL
Frankie wasn’t as much of a scene-stealer as I thought he would be.

All the other campers had smaller roles this time around. I’m glad they let Alison shine as a dancer. B-girl Shorty from the Beat Freaks and Courtney Galiano from SYTYCD got a lot of camera time.

Here is another dorky thing to notice: each girl basically sports a distinct hairstyle throughout the movie. It’s not exact like in the first film. There are slight variations. For example, Ella wears a hat mostly, but she also wore headbands. Mitchie mostly wears red hues, Shane wears blue, like in the first film.

I wasn't fond of Joe's leather jacket during "What We Came Here For." It looked like he borrowed it from Camp Star. I did love the use of beach balls. It would be awesome if they do that on tour. My little brother is going through a henley phase, and that's basically all Shane wore.

I won’t spoil the ending. I LOVE how the result of Camp Wars was revealed. It was INTENSE. Demi’s eyes and everyone’s facials were greatly performed.

I want to sing na, na na na na, hey ya!
The final scene warms my heart. “Our Song” is the PERFECT ending number. I truly wish that would happen to me in real life. I want to sing with my friends (and an awesome boy ;]) around a campfire.

Camp Rock 3 isn’t necessary, so please don’t.

In summation: I loved this movie!

No comments:

Post a Comment